Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I starting training my puppy?

Well hey you guys! This is my first post as a puppy blog, and I'm so excited! So here's how it's gonna go down... Every other day I will be post tips, tricks, and guides to training your puppy (dog) to become a superdog. Today I'm gonna start out with how to start, because I mean you have to start somewhere, right? So here it goes:


Be prepared.
 
   The very first thing that you want to do is make sure you have everything you need. Make a list if you have to so that in the middle of a training session you don't get up and leave the room and you lose your puppy's attention. For an example, you might need a bag of treats, a clicker, and your "How to train a dog" book. Make sure that you have everything you need in the room.

Be patient.

   Imagine if a big giant came up to you and said, "Sit". I'm sure you would be scared, I know I would be! Anyway, even thought you might think your not scary and that's not your intension, the poor puppy still thinks of you as 8 feet tall in their mind. So when your training your pup try to think as if you were them, even when they don't get it the 1st time, or the 2nd time, or even the 50th time. They'll get it. Puppies are smarter then you think.

Get your family involved.

   Don't go into the process of training a puppy by yourself. Find yourself a buddy to help you, or even better get the whole family involved. Maybe you could take shifts throughout the day. For example, if you have to go to work in the morning, your husband can take that morning shift. When you get back from work you could do the afternoon shift. And if you go to work late on day you could swich it up. Training is always more with a buddy by your side!

Have a "happy"word.

   Bond with your puppy get to before you start training. Maybe pet it, rub it's belly, scratch behind his ears. While you are giving him/her some loving time try to say some calming words. Such as "good girl/boy" or "nice dog". This will help your puppy to incorporate those words with something good. You will not believe how much this will help later down the road.

Treat generously.

   Always make sure that you are never not rewarding your dog after they do something good. Whether it's a toy or treat or cuddles make sure for every trick they work for you you treat them with a reward.

Have a after-session cuddle.

   The one thing dogs all over the world is cuddles. So what I do with my dog, Zuly, is after every session we have we have some time with each other. This way I'm telling her how much I love and appreciate all the hard work she is doing for me. Even if it's just 3 or 4 minutes, have some sunggle time.


   Well, I really hope this was helpful to all those people out their with new puppy who they want to train but have know idea where to start. Man, I wish someone could have taught me. ;) Give me some feedback on my blog in the comments box below! Hope your having an awesome Thursday night!

<3 Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here